Six Stress management issues to consider. These are the main areas that cause stress at work and that if tackled can reduce stress significantly. They are recommended by the HSE for work related stress but they can also work in other areas, home, family, social organisations, church etc. I will be discussing each issue separately in the next six days so look out for more right here.
- Demands – this includes issues such as workload, work patterns and the work environment. Basically amount of work/duties expected of you or in your hands.
- Control – how much say the person has in the way they do their work. This includes the feeling of being controlled and not being considered in decision making.
- Support – this includes the encouragement, sponsorship, feeling of being appreciated, love received, pat on the back, resources available to deal with the stressors.
- Relationships – Relationships can include work mates, family , friends, church mates etc. This can be done by promoting a positive environment, preventing conflict and dealing with unacceptable behaviour and building rapport and extending to new relationships.
- Role – whether people understand or accept their role and whether roles conflict with each others or with other peoples.
- Change – how change (large or small) is managed and communicated in the individual’s environment or organisation or family.